Tuesday, September 13, 2011

First Day Thoughts

I have to say, I love the first day of classes. Even though I’ve been teaching at the same studio for a few years now, and overall I’ve taught the same type of classes, there’s still a bit of excitement in the air.

I get excited to see my old students. To be able to welcome back familiar faces is almost a comfort. On a day full of so many possibilities, being able to see students that I know personally and as dancers is uplifting. In the same respect, I am excited to meet new ones. I get to introduce myself as a teacher, and I get to learn about these new dancers- to see who the quiet ones are and who the chatty ones are; the ones that naturally pick up movement, and the ones that need me to go over combinations a few more times. It is a joy to be able to pick up the dance styles and quirks and personalities of each individual.

Seeing how the old and the new react to each other is always a pleasure as well. I love watching a group of friends that have known each other and myself for a year or two take in the newer students and make them feel comfortable. It not only makes it an easier class, but it warms my heart to see how there is still some kindness in the world amongst the younger generations.

I also like to get to know the teachers that are teaching on the same day as me. Networking with fellow teachers, and even just getting to know them as peers is always exciting for me. Just like any teacher, I enjoy speaking with like-minded people about topics that we are passionate about. Passing ideas back and forth, and discussing classes opens up my own mind.

Personally, my season has started out wonderfully, and I am very excited for this upcoming year with my students! I can’t wait to grow and learn with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment